Lets Celebrate the Cranberry this October! We all know that cranberry season is here, so lets take a look at the amazing benefits of our October healthy food of the month: Cranberry!
- A cranberry is very high in nutrients and antioxidants
- Half a cup of cranberries contains only 25 calories
- Lowers the risk of urinary tract infections
- Helps in prevention of certain types of cancer
- Encourage improved immune function
- They can assist in decreasing blood pressure
- They are a great source of vitamin C, fiber and vitamin E
- Some evidence suggests that the polyphenols in cranberries may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease
Cranberries can also be enjoyed dried or in a can, but watch out for added sugars! Make a homemade trail mix with unsalted nuts, seeds and dried cranberry, include a small handful of frozen cranberries in a fruit smoothie.
As much as we all enjoy cranberries you may want to steer clear of a high intake of cranberries if you take the blood-thinning drug warfarin, also known as Coumadin. With this in mind get out there and get to know the cranberry! Share with us your favorite ways to enjoy our healthy food of the month!